Criminal court expert report
This case concerns a fatal workplace accident on a polymer film winder machine.
In circumstances that were undetermined because there were no witnesses, the victim had entered a hazardous area in which a reel was moving after the winding operation was complete.
The brief of A. MERGER Experts was to:
- Go to the site and hear the workers belonging to the team managed by the victim.
- Examine and describe the winder machine at issue.
- Familiarise itself with the technical documents produced by the manufacturer of the winding machine, describing how it operates.
- Describe the safety features with which the machine was provided on the day of the accident.
- Provide any explanations concerning the purpose of these safety features.
- Describe the hypothetical circumstances of the accident and the role played by the malfunctioning of the safety features in place.
- State whether this malfunction or these malfunctions were detectable during the periodic checks that the machine underwent.
- More generally, make any observations relevant to ascertaining the truth as regards the causality of the accident.
- Produce a report on all the above, with a view to its being submitted to the criminal courts.